2009 was the most peaceful year of my life. It's hard to believe because I live in this big, busy city, I went on a dozen horrendous dates, struggled up and down the corporate ladder, argued with my bosses, walked through bustling China town to work every day, worked crazy hours and went on 13 trips by plane and more by car. But it was. It was the most serene and harmonious year I've ever had. And because of that it was one of the best years I've ever had. 2003 and 2004 were the rivals. With all the madness in my exterior life, I was the calmest and most resilient and most satisfied I've ever been. So that was the theme of the year. This year I need a new theme and a new chapter. I don't expect this year to be quite so peaceful. I'll be 25 and hailing in a quarter century calls for a new chapter in life. I may still be in the city, in advertising by then, but I want to have a plan and I want it to involve writing. I've done the city thing that I so disdained, that I thought I could never do. Same goes for the corporate thing. But I don't need to keep doing it. I'm content and happy, so it's hard to make a change, but it will soon be time.
So the theme of 2010 is productive. Prolific writing. I don't want to be one of those anguished "writers" who doesn't actually write. So I'm going to write and keep writing and not stop..it's 2011 and I can look back and say, NOW I'm a writer, just as I can look back at 2009 and say NOW I'm happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment