A poem because I stopped writing poetry and am worried I am not good at it now. So I'm starting again and one of my new years resolutions is to not be so reclusive about my writing...
Possibilities
Every action
Is less a burden
in the bright light of
new possibilities
A river bends-and
I swam two years
confined to banks that
don't flow out to sea.
When I broke free
in the delta
saw the way the
horizon arced away from me
I shed the burden of fear
at seeing that finite line
at the end of my present path
Even in the city-
of church spires and towers
My sky opened into unknown
And I fell in love
with my life
myself
your laugh
his kiss
and this city
Sucking boundless air
I dance always now
until the lights of our famous bridge
lose their contrast to the night
and soft sunrise colors
wild hair, sore limbs
and freedom
start the day
The other night I put a song on repeat literally from 3 am to noon the next day. Then I loaded it onto my ipod and have been playing it on repeat at work, after work and while I get ready in the morning. I'm not sure it's healthy and it's not something I've ever done before. But you all MUST listen to it. And I must provide the lyrics because they are lovely and I'd like to know what exactly you think they mean. It's clearly a love song but there are some strong mixed feelings in there, such as "this mess I'm buying" and "it's raining down with love and hate". Let me know what you think.
Hustle Bustle
And so much muscle
Our cells about to separate
Now I find it hard to concentrate
And temporary, this cash and carry
I’m stepping up to indicate
The time has come to deviate and
Death defying, this mess I’m buying
It’s raining down with love and hate
Now I find it hard to motivate
And estuary is blessed but scary
Our hearts about to palpitate
And I’m not about to hesitate
And want to treasure the rest of your days here
And give you pleasure in so many ways, dear
And finally you have found something perfect
And finally you have found…
Here we go.
Do you want me to show up for duty?
And serve this woman and honor her beauty?
And finally you have found something perfect
And finally you have found... yourself
With me...
Will you... agree... to take this man... into your world..
And now... we are as one...
My lone ranger,
The heat exchanger
Is living in this figure 8
Now I’ll do my best to recreate.
And Sweet precision.
And soft collision
Our hearts about to palpitate
Now I find it hard to separate.
And all I want is for you to be happy
And take this woman and make you my family
And finally you have found someone perfect
And finally you have found
All I want is for you to be happy
And take this woman and make you my family
And finally you have found someone perfect
And finally you have found…
Yourself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Lindsay
- "This most of all: ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I write? ... And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must," then build your life in accordance with this necessity;... Then come close to Nature." -Ranier Maria Rilke in Letters to a Young Poet
2 comments:
Linds...I've always loved that song. I think the Red Hot Chili Peppers formed the soundtrack of my 20s. :-) And, personally, I think it's a love song. Enough about the song, though...I really want to comment on how much I love your poem. Who knew there was a poet in there? Keep writing chica. Love it. I'm sure you could find all sorts of writing material in Costa Rica...
I think you know this already, but I am not one for lyrics...I am your shallow friend that doesn't actually listen to songs! Here I am having just talked to you for the last hour and now I have to stalk you on your blog. Oh my!
Post a Comment